The process for selection of instructional materials is as follows:
• Formation of teacher and administrator committee
• Review of current program in the appropriate content area
• Review of adoption options
• Establishment of district lens*
• Articulation of Saratoga High School teachers
• Pilot of materials
• Evaluation of materials by students and teachers
• Parent night for review and evaluation of materials
• Synthesis and analysis of evaluations
• Committee recommendation to the Board of Education
• Purchase of materials
• Professional development
*The district lens is a document that is created to help spell out the goals of our instructional program in each content area.
During the 2007-08 school year our Board of Education approved the purchase of Science materials.
During the 2009-10 school year our Board approved the purchase of Math materials. Due to the interest in Math in our district, updates regarding the 2009-10 math instructional materials adoption were provided at Superintendent’s Advisory Council, SEF Board meetings, two Math Advisory Council Meetings, and a Materials Review Parent Night in January 2009 (note: all district parents were invited to this event via school listserv messages and their school newsletter).
During the 2010-11 year, we considered an English Language Arts/English Language Development purchase.